1. Have a customized landing page, which takes the prospective customer to the exact product, or service page for which they are searching.
2. To have a cost effective online marketing strategy there needs to be enough people searching for your product or service.
For example, if someone is searching for a particular type of phone, your ad should feature that particular type of phone. The more specific you are and the less searching the perspective customer has to do once they get to your web page, the more likely they are to contact you, buy your product, or take the action you want them to take.
You will need to research which search terms or keywords are searched on more frequently than other search terms so that you can make sure that you have the largest audience possible. You can do this using Google's keyword tool. Doing just this small amount of market research can make the difference between success or failure of your online business venture.
For example, if you're selling Phone dialiers and there's only ten people a day in your area searching for Phone dialiers, you are not going to be very successful. If however, there are 100,000 people a day searching for a Phone dialiers and you only have two competitors who also sell Phone dialiers, then there is room for you in that market.
Google's Keyword Tool and How to Use it
The first place to start with researching your keywords is the Google keyword tool, found here: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
Below are some useful features of Google's keyword tool:
1. You can enter various phrases describing your businesses products or services into the search box. The tool will give you results on different phrases and synonyms matching your description. It will also tell you which search terms produce the largest amount of traffic on a monthly basis.
2. If you are targeting the entire United States then the monthly traffic column per keyword is very accurate. If you are targeting a particular state within the United States then you would need to divide that number by the percentage of population in that state.
3. Google's keyword tool also has a column that indicates the average cost per click for each search term. This can be helpful for forecasting how much to price your product or service. For example, if you are selling something for $10.00 and it costs you $10.00 to get enough people to your website before anyone buys your product then you need to rethink your pricing model. If however, your product sells for $20.00 and it only costs you $5.00 in advertising before someone buys your product, then you have a cost effective marketing campaign.